Wednesday, April 26, 2017

I might be oversharing, but.....






For those that follow me on Facebook, Instagram, twitter or on my blog you probably already heard that April is IBS awareness month.   Again.  And again.  And again.   I might be oversharing for the cause but it is only because it is something I'm passionate about!   I am feeling so much better than I did a few years ago ( http://duckheadcottage.blogspot.com/2017/04/ibelieveinyourstory.html ).  I do believe I'm still on my "getting healthy" journey and will be for a long time but I want others to know there is hope too!  I want others to know they are not alone.

I can't remember the last time my doctor asked me about my bowel movements.  I honestly don't even know exactly when things went amiss.  I just know I started realizing that certain foods were not good for my belly and I gave up gluten and dairy and then I've spent the last few years figuring out exactly what else is bothering my belly.  Low Fodmaps were the key.   If you don't know what they are go check out Kate Scarlata's wonderful blog with a huge assortment of food lists and blogs about the topic.   Part of my journey also involves SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth) and it can't just be gotten rid of with healthy eating and exercising.   You need to bring out the big guns!   Rifaximin is prescribed for people who get a bad case of traveler's diarhhea dierreah  diarrhea (you'd think I'd be able to spell it by now!) and it's $1000 a pop.   I've taken three rounds of it!!!   Thank god my insurance company approved it.   Many don't.

Many doctor's don't believe in SIBO or have never heard of it before.   It's supposedly a new fangled disease.   The new popular diagnosis.  What people in the know actually think is that the majority of people who have been suffering all their lives with IBS actually have an underlying case of SIBO.   They've been told by their doctor's that it's chronic and to just deal with it and this is how they will live out their days.   In one international survey of IBS patients they determined that people with IBS would be willing to give up 25% of their remaining life to gain access to treatments that would provide symptom relief.   That is a scary statistic.   That makes you realize how much people are suffering.  This is not a disease that allows people to stay in bed or have a lazy day on the couch.  This is a debilitating, isolating, awful disease that makes people feel quite literally like SHIT!

And research for IBS and SIBO is completely underfunded.   20% of the global population suffers from IBS and the majority are women.   Yet is one of the most underfunded research out there.   IBS Awareness month and Kate's campaign #IBelieveinyourStory is critical for getting the word out and for educating health professionals and individuals suffering in silence about SIBO and IBS.

I will keep talking about food with random people, I will keep helping people figure out what is wrong with them, and I will keep talking about poop (much to my kid's chagrin!)  It is embarrassing but it is important.   Every person deserves to live their best life.  To feel their healthiest.  To find the tools to help them feel better.   To know they are not alone.  To know we are all in this together!
A sampling of #IBelieveinyourStory pictures and quotes posted on instagram with the #

No comments:

Post a Comment